Fall 2014 Carnivals
2014-2015 School Year
September 20th and 27th, 2014
On Saturday, September 20th and 27th, North Chicago Community Partners (NCCP) hosted thier annual Community Carnival at A.J Katzenmaier, Forrestal and North Elementary and Howard A. Yeager Schools, in North Chicago to kick off the start of the 2014-2015 academic year. Previously a pre-kindergarten through fifth grade school, the schools are now Kindergarten through second and third thorugh fifth grade level centers, serving approximately 1500 students in North Chicago Community School District 187.
NCCP employees, community friends, family, and volunteers from AbbVie, DePaul University, the Schuler Scholar program, District 187, Christ Church Lake Forest and Highland Park, St. James and Church of the Holy Spirit, Reading Power, First Tee and Bernie’s Book Bank worked together to provide food, new games, fun music, raffles and more. Highlights of the day include:
- First Tee Program- Students worked on accuracy and hand-eye coordination in this golf program where they hit targets and played mini-golf
- Twister- Everyone got tangled in a larger than life twister putting flexibility and coordination to the test
- Cell Phone Photo Spot-Students and parents had an opportunity to pose in front of the camera wearing circus themed props
- Inflatable Fun- Kids of all ages jumped the day away in one of two bouncies
- Face Painting – Children and adults alike transformed their faces into butterflies, tigers and more
- Dancing- Everyone put on their dancing shoes and partook in a variety of dances including “The Cupid Shuffle and “The Electric Slide”
- Bernie’s Book Bank- Children were able to select 12 different age appropriate books of their choosing to take home
- Magician- A wandering magician captivated the crowd with sleight of hand and magic tricks
- Hula Hoop-Always a crowd favorite, participants were able to compete in one of several rounds of hula hoop contests
The afternoon was enjoyed by all, with more than 1600 students, teachers, volunteers and school principals partaking in the fun. Every child in attendance was eligible to win a raffle prize which were awarded to 6-7 lucky winners at each event. The North Elementary Carnival concluded with an exciting announcement by AbbVie executives, sharing their adoption of North Elementary and their continued partnership District 187. Thanks to the great support of our volunteers, school faculty, staff and community friends, NCCP fulfilled its goal of providing a fun filled day for students, families and the entire school community. Thank you to all who attended!